Belief in Allaah's Ruboobiyyah
From The Fundamentals of Faith
By Sheikh Muhammad bin Saleh Al-Utheimeen
Translated By Dr. Saleh As-Saleh
© Message Of Islam
Which means to believe that Allaah is the only Rabb without partner or a helper.
The Rabb is the One to Whom belongs the Creation, Kingdom, and Command; Their is no Creator but Allaah; No Maalik (Possessor) except Him 1, and their is no Command but His, He, Most High, says:
His is the Creation and Commandment.
Allaah also said:
"Such is Allaah your Rabb; his is the kingdom. And those, whom you invoke or call upon instead of Him, own not even a Qitmeer (the thin membrane over the date stone)."2
It is not known that anyone had denied that Ruboobiyaah of Allaah except an arrogant who does not believe what he says, like what happened to the Pharoah when he said to his people:
I am your Rabb, most high.
O chiefs! I know not that you have an Ilaah (a god) other than me.
What he said was not a matter of conviction. Allaah said:
And they belied then (the Aayaat: proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) wrongfully and arrogantly, though their ownselves were convinced thereof [i.e. the Aayaat are from Allaah, and Musa is the Messenger of Allaah in truth, but they disliked to obey Musa, and hated to believe in his Message of Tawheed.]
Allaah related what Musa told the Pharaoh:
(Musa) said: "Verily, you know that these signs have been sent down by none but the Rabb of the heavens and the earth as clear (evidences i.e. proofs of Allaah's Oneness and His Omnipotence etc.). And I think you are, indeed, O Pharoah doomed to destruction (away from all good)!"
For this reason, the Mushrikeen (the pagan Arabs) used to acknowledge the Ruboobiyah of Allaah despite committing Shirk in His Uloohiyaah. Allaah Said:
Say: 'Whose is the earth and whosoever is therein? If you know!'
They will say: 'It is Allaah's!' Say: Will you not then remember?'
Say: 'Who is (the) Rabb of the seven heavens, and (the) Rabb of the Great 'Arsh (Throne)?'
They will say: 'Allaah.' Say: 'Will you not then fear Allaah (believe in His Oneness, obey Him, believe in the Resurrection and Recompense for each and every good or bad deed).'
Say: 'In Whose Hand is the sovereignty of everything (i.e. treasures of each and everything)? And He protects (all), while against Whom there is no protector 3. if you know.'
They will say: "All that belongs to Allaah." Say:'How then are you decieved and turn away from the truth?'
Allaah also said:
And indeed if you ask them, "Who has created the heavens and the earth?" They will surely say: "Mighty, the All-Knower created them."
He further said:
"And if you ask them who created them, they will surely say: "Allaah". How then are you turned away (from worship of Allaah Who created them)?"
The Command of Ar-Rabb (Allaah) comprises both the Al-Kawnee (Universal) and the Ash-Shar'ee (Legal or Judicial) Commands. Just as He is the One Who runs the affairs of the universe, Ruling it as He wants and in accordance with what is necessitated by His Wisdom, He is also the Judge Who rules it by means of Legislations that deals with Ibaadat 4 and laws governing all forms of Mu'aamalaat 5, in conformity with His Wisdom.
So, whoever sets up a legislation besides Allaah in Ibaadaat or a judge in Mu'aamalaat commits Shirk and not ascertain the Eemaan.
1. Allaah, Most great , is the Possessor of every possessor. He permits whom He wishes to possess. Allaah possesses all the treasures of the heavens and the earth. All the good is in His Hand, He gives whom He wishes and takes from whom He wishes. Everything is in need of Allaah.
2. This great Aayah is a reminder for those who invoke upon the dead or the absent person(s) seeking help and refuge in them, that those whom you seek and call upon instead of Allaah don't possess even a Qitmeer. They cannot help themselves let alone those who call upon them. Those who seek refuge or intercession through the righteous in their graves have not correctly estimated Allaah as the One who gives and takes, the One who provides and sustains, the One who loves to be invoked Alone, etc.
3. If Allaah saves anyone none can punish or harm him, and if Allaah punishes or harms anyone none can save him. [Tafseer Al-Qurtubee, V12, p.145].
4. Ibaadat: Acts of worship done sincerely for Allaah's sake and in accordance with evidence from Quraan and (or) authentic Sunnah.
5. Mu'aamalaat: All forms of mutual relations, treatment, procedures, behaviour, conduct (towards others), and interactions including social, business, transactions, etc.